NYC Travel Safety Tips and What to Do if Injured in NYC
The holidays are a busy time of year for all of us. Many of us travel to visit relatives and family. Others travel for a vacation, or even a shopping trip.
A lot of people come to NYC for those reasons and more – to see a show, to see the ball drop in Times Square, etc. And with all of the extra hustle and bustle, accidents are bound to happen.
This begs the question: When someone from out of state is in an accident in NYC, what should they do?
If you are visiting NYC and have been injured because of an accident, it would make good sense to hire a lawyer who is from NYC. A local lawyer will be well versed with NY law, and will have first-hand knowledge of the court system. A local lawyer will know the ins-and-outs of state law, as well as the local municipality laws of Brooklyn, Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.
If you are involved in a car accident, the basic procedure is the same no matter what state you are from. You call the police and file a claim with your insurance company. But what if you have been injured in the accident? Should you hire a lawyer from your home state, or from NY where the accident took place? People in the know will say the answer is clear – hire a lawyer who understands the law in the place where the accident happened.
Of course you can be involved in any type of accident while traveling to another state besides a car accident. What about slip and falls, dog bites, premises liability, sidewalk accidents, subway accidents, bus accidents or even emergency room negligence? The same applies to any type of injury or accident – it is advisable to hire a lawyer who is well-versed in the laws of the state and local area where the injury occurred.
As we all know, accidents and injuries can happen when and where you least expect it, even in the middle of a holiday celebration, business travel or vacation.
Wherever an accident happens, be sure to hire the right lawyer, and get the compensation you deserve.
Travel Safety Tips
- Do research – know the destination you are traveling to, be aware of unsafe neighborhoods etc.
- Don’t draw attention to yourself – don’t act like a tourist, criminals will spot you easily. This includes not flashing money or looking at maps in a public place.
- Keep your purse strap around your shoulder. Keep your travel bag next to your person and don’t let it out of your sight.
- Make copies of important documents in case they are stolen or lost. Save them online so they can be accessed anywhere. This includes driver’s license, passports and other important documents.
- Let your family and friends know where you are, where you are staying, and your itinerary.
- Public Wi-Fi can be accessed by everyone in your vicinity. Any wise thief will know how to access your computer and passwords.
- Don’t leave valuables in your hotel room. Store them at the front desk, they will have a safe or other measures in place to protect your valuables.
- Search the internet before leaving – local scams and warnings will be posted, do your homework and you won’t go unprepared.
- Have emergency info close at hand – if you are involved in an accident you will be stressed and won’t have time to remember pertinent info. Write it down or store it in your phone so you have it ready to go when you need it.
- Travel insurance – it wouldn’t hurt to have extra insurance specifically geared toward traveling.
- Talk to the locals – they will know what to do, where to go, and what not to do. Most will be willing to help you. However, don’t share too much with strangers.
- Keep extra cash in a money belt, or even in your shoe.
- If use an ATM, make sure no one is watching over your shoulder while you key-in your password.
- If possible, travel with other people – there is safety in numbers.
- If you are traveling alone then stay as sober as possible – a thief may take advantage of the situation.
If you have been hurt, injured or involved in an accident while traveling to NYC then you need an experienced local personal injury attorney. Contact the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez & Associates online or call us at 718-407-4123 today. We have been helping people injured in NYC get the compensation they deserve for over 30 years. You can also visit our personal injury lawyer website. We will let you know your options, and what you can do to make sure you are well represented in New York after an accident.
Stay safe out there this holiday season!