Effort to Reduce Bike Accidents: New Brooklyn Bicycle Lanes
New bicycle lanes are being constructed for the city of Brooklyn. There are plans to develop 10 miles of new bike lanes for the city of Brooklyn in 2020, with more to come. We wholly applaud this move. As we have written about repeatedly in this blog for over a year, bicycle injuries and bike accident deaths in our neighborhoods kept increasing and had reached a disastrous and unprecedented level. Last year there were 17 bicyclist fatalities just in Brooklyn alone. Obviously, action was needed.
The project is expected to cost around $500,000 per mile, which is quite a sum, but worth it when you consider the dangers that are inherent for bicycle riders. The reason is all too obvious – a bicycle has no chance against a car, SUV, or truck.
The proposed changes and expanded bike lanes in Brooklyn include:
Fort Hamilton Parkway
For the year 2018 in Brooklyn:
Crashes Involving Motor Vehicles and Bicyclists –
1,725 bicyclist injuries
Crashes Involving Pedestrians and Bicyclists –
21 bicyclist injuries
Crashes Involving Bicyclists Only –
88 bicyclist injuries
In NYC the number of bicyclist deaths for 2019 was more than double from the year before.
- A 14-year-old boy was killed while riding alongside a truck when the truck turned.
- A 62 year old man on his bicycle was killed when he collided with a garbage truck at an intersection.
- A 47 year old cyclist was pinned against a parked car by a vehicle and killed.
- A 52 year old man on a bike was killed in a crash that involved more than one vehicle. One car ran a light and struck another vehicle, which then struck the bicyclist.
- A 30 year old female bicyclist was hit and died by a tractor-trailer when she tried to avoid an open car door that was parked at the time.
- A 58 year old male bicyclist was killed when hit by a box truck.
- A 17 became another bicyclist fatality when he was struck by a tow-truck driver.
- A 28 year old woman was hit and killed by a Mack cement truck at an intersection.
- A 57 year old man was hit by a vehicle and killed at an intersection.
- A 20 year old bike messenger was struck by a delivery truck and killed.
- A 29 year old male was deceased after being hit by a speeding car, which had lost control. The driver was drunk at the time.
- A 16 year old bicyclist hit the door of a parked car and then went to the ground, and was struck by another vehicle.
- A 29 year old man who was riding his bike was hit by an SUV at an intersection and killed.
- A 22 year old bicyclist was slammed by a minivan at an intersection and was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
- A 74 year old was riding his bike and was killed when hit by a UPS truck.
- A 26 year old male on a bike fell into the side of a truck and also became a fatality.
- A 53 year old bicyclist was hit by a car at an intersection and was killed.
- A 25 year old woman was the victim of a hit and run driver while on her bike.
- A 72 year old man on a bike was also struck down by a hit and run vehicle.
- A 63 year old female was involved in an incident with an SUV and became another bicyclist who died on our streets.
- A 41 year old bicyclist collided with a van at an intersection and later died at the hospital.
- A 26 year old man on an e-bike collided with the open door of a taxi and then fell into traffic, where he was struck and killed by another vehicle.
Contact Our Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Lawyers
We hope that the construction of new bicycle lanes in Brooklyn brings the bike accident and fatality rate to zero. It seems that it should help reduce the number of accidents greatly in the areas where they are being built and we look forward to the expansion of the program. But when accidents happen and someone else is at fault, we are here to help people get through it, by fighting on their behalf to get them the care and the compensation that they and their families need and deserve. We provide personal service and can visit you at your home or in the hospital if needed. David Hernandez has a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating and the National Trial Lawyers has named him one of the top 100 trial lawyers. The Law Offices of David J. Hernandez & Associates has served the people of Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, New York and New Jersey for over 30 years.
If you have been injured, or if a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident, please contact our bicycle accident lawyers at 718-407-4123, or contact us online today for a free consultation. We handle accident and injury cases on a contingency basis, which means that there is never a fee unless we recover compensation for you.
Se habla español.