Brooklyn Wrongful Deaths
A Brooklyn subway stop was the scene of a wrongful death recently, as alleged by the father of a man who was running from the police at the time of the incident. The man’s son, who was 25 years old, was being chased by the police when he was electrocuted by the third rail at the subway stop. He apparently fell on the rail after being stunned with a taser.
In another incident, a medical malpractice wrongful death suit in Brooklyn recently ended in a 5 million dollar verdict for the family of a woman who received a kidney transplant that caused a urine leak into her body, which went undiagnosed. The verdict came 19 years after the woman’s death from that medical complication.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death can be caused by a negligent, willful or deliberate action. A wrongful death can occur in a variety of ways as noted above, but can also include car, truck, train and motorcycle accidents, drunk driving accidents, medical malpractice, defective products and slip and fall accidents, to name only a few. When bringing suit for a wrongful death, it must be proven that the actions or negligence of an individual, business, doctor, medical staff, nursing home, hospital or other medical facility, or a government entity are what caused the death.
Wrongful Death & New York Public Hospitals
- Malpractice in the medical field resulted in wrongful death claims involving 468 deaths in 11 public hospitals in New York in the past 5 years.
- Since 2014 NY City has had to pay-out $34 million in compensation to families, with some 400 cases still unfinished, leaving over 87% of cases still outstanding.
- In one year there were 106 cases that went to court, with almost 3/4 of them still mired in the court system.
- The same 11 hospitals treat over a million people a year.
- The highest number of claims involves Kings County.
Has a loved one been killed in an incident that you feel is a wrongful death and involves negligence or wrongful actions? Perhaps we can help. We can’t turn back the clock, but our wrongful death lawyers have the experience and knowledge to bring the victim’s survivors and family the compensation they deserve.
Please contact the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez & Associates at 718-407-4123 or contact us online today for a free and confidential consultation with one of our wrongful death lawyers. For over 30 years, we have been dedicated to helping people get the justice and compensation they deserve in Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, New York and New Jersey.