Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyer
Decades of Experience in New York & New Jersey OTR Truck Accidents
When trucking companies put their drivers on the road, they are accepting the responsibility for the maintenance and safety of these colossal semi-tractor and trailer vehicles. Truckers are legally mandated to take rests, avoid drugs and alcohol, and properly secure their cargo. When interstate trucking companies and their vehicle operators fail to live up to their legal duties, disaster can occur.
No recovery, no fee! Working with our Brooklyn injury lawyers is risk-free!
At the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez Associates, we have decades of combined experience and tens of millions of dollars in recoveries under our name. Our formidable team of Brooklyn truck accident lawyers are undaunted by either the size of the opponent or the scope of the case. We can deliver the resolute and tenacious advocacy you need and deserve.
OTR Truck Accident Cases and Causes of Trucking Accidents
At the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez Associates, we have made it our mission to level the playing field for individuals who find themselves confronting massive insurance companies determined to deny them their fair compensation. Our law firm employs accident re-constructionists and medical experts to verify the cause of your accident, establish fault, and determine the full extent of your injuries
We have the resources to identify and prove all causes of your trucking accident, which may include:
- Truck Driver fatigue
- Driving under the influence
- Violations of federal hours of service rules
- Failure to check blind spots
- Improper load distribution or trailer attachment
- Downshifting or tailgating
- Equipment or vehicle defects
Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association
Each year, almost 80,000 trucking accidents result in injury, with over 3,500 resulting in a fatality. Unfortunately, the trucking industry is big business with billions of yearly profits. Often, they are represented by multiple insurance companies who deflect and deter liability back and forth in order to avoid paying compensation to their victims.
Our experienced Brooklyn truck accident injury lawyers can help you seek compensation from the:
- Trucking company
- The truck driver
- Vehicle parts or equipment manufacturers
- Cargo loaders
Truck Driver Fatigue
Trucking accidents are among the most serious accidents to be involved in. Due to the trucks’ immense size and weight, it could be the cause of catastrophic injury and even death. Many trucking accidents are caused by truck driver fatigue caused by the long hours truckers must drive.According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, trucking accidents from driver fatigue causes nearly 750 people fatalities and 20,000 injuries each year.
The Dangers of Truck Driver Fatigue
If you or a loved one was involved in a trucking accident due to driver fatigue, it is important to obtain legal guidance from a Brooklyn truck accident attorney. At the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez Associates, we have decades of combined legal experience, successfully helping our clients recover the compensation they need. Our team consist of medical experts and accident re-constructionists who can uncover the extent of the accident and your injuries.
The Dangers of Truck Driver Fatigue
The dangers of fatigue greatly affect driving ability and awareness. It is the truck driver’s responsibility to drive safely and ensure they are getting adequate rest. Under tight schedules, many times truck drivers neglect to get the necessary amount of sleep, sometimes falling asleep at the wheel and causing disastrous results.
Semi Truck and Trailer Accidents May Involve
- Slow reaction time
- Distracted attention
- Altered vision
- Poor judgment
- Becoming unconscious for short period of time
- Falling asleep at the wheel
Retain the Legal Assistance You Need
At the Law Offices of David J. Hernandez Associates, we understand how to handle trucking accident personal injury claims. Our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers are skilled at negotiating with major insurance companies to ensure their clients are never shorthanded in their compensation. We can help you determine liability and file an effective claim.
Brooklyn Truck Accident FAQs
What to do after a truck accident?
If you have been involved in a truck accident, there are certain things you need to do that will be vital to your health and to any claim you will file.
- Move to safety, if medically possible, out of the way traffic, wreckage, and debris.
- Contact the police or local authorities and give a factual statement of the accident so they can file an accident report.
- Get immediate medical attention so your injuries can be attended to and documented.
- Get the contact information of every driver involved in the accident as well as insurance and driver’s license information. From the truck driver also get information on the cab, trailer, and cargo (if they contributed to the cause of the accident you may benefit if they have additional insurance on each).
- Document the accident scene by taking pictures to include: damage to all vehicles, guardrails and other fixed objects, skid marks, the state of the tire tread, and the condition of the truck itself.
- Contact an accident attorney who specializes in truck accidents and will make sure you receive a settlement offer that reflects the true cost of your injuries and loss.
- After you’ve given your official statement, do not talk to trucking company representatives or insurance companies. Let your lawyer do the talking.
What is my truck accident worth?
No two truck accidents are alike so it is hard even to give a monetary range for what your over the road truck accident may be worth. There are several factors that contribute to the value of your truck accident claim such as:
- Severity of injuries
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Total cost of medical bills
- Loss of companionship
When attempting to get a fair settlement for your claim your truck accident attorney will focus on three factors:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost wages or loss of earning capacity (past and future)
- Pain, suffering, disfigurement and disability (past and future)
While there is not a true mathematical formula that will give you an estimate of what your truck accident is worth, you can expect better results with an experienced attorney who will effectively build your case based on these factors.
Why hire a truck accident attorney?
If you have been in a truck accident that resulted in injury or monetary loss lawyer who specializes in truck accidents can help you go up against the negligent party, their insurance companies and their lawyers. Your accident attorney knows the laws and procedures to handle your legal issues and acts as your advocate throughout the case. If you have suffered severe injuries, faced expensive medical bills, or have experienced loss of wages due to an accident, it is time to hire an accident attorney.
How to hire a truck accident lawyer?
When choosing a truck accident attorney look for a lawyer who is experienced in handling truck accident cases. Search online by an attorney’s name and firm to see what others are saying and if there have been complaints. Once you hire an accident attorney, evaluate your comfort level in communicating with the attorney and take into consideration how they treat your case. If you feel your lawyer is not available to you or doesn’t return your calls in a timely manner, and you feel uneasy about their ability to add your case to their caseload it may be time to hire a new attorney.
Schedule a no-obligation, risk-free consult!
For nearly 30 years since the opening of our practice, we have been the trusted source that thousands of clients have turned to when they needed to hold negligent parties accountable for damages. If you have been the victim of a trucking accident, our accomplished team of Brooklyn truck accident lawyers can provide unwavering and powerful representation.